Monday, March 29, 2010

ouch

For some reason, being the bunny hurt today. Maybe it was the day, the line, or the indulgence of a day off yesterday, but my back and my shoulders ached and my legs were stiff. I was a decidedly less animated bunny than usual. I looked forward to being replaced today - though because of the rush it was an hour late.

The interesting thing about being in the suit is the isolation. I can see people and hear them, but I am just not me. I are restrained, set aside to be the Bunny. Granted, being in the suit gives me a power that I do not have otherwise. No one would want a picture with the Easter Michael and I don't inspire the same kind of wonder dressed in my usual skin. That being said, being alone in the suit makes life confusing at times. I had no idea when my shift was going to end and had no way to find out.

I was sore...but endurance became the name of this game.

I've decided I can endure a lot when I know the finish is in sight. I would have sprung at an opportunity to shed my synthetic skin, but I had a job to do. Pain was not something to be heeded. There were kids to love and I knew it wouldn't last forever.

Today begins holy week.

Jesus, our faith teaches, bore his own distressing disguise. The beauty of the incarnation was that God put on mankind so he could do something he could not do in his own familliar form. In the person of Jesus Christ, God would feel what it is to be human first hand while inviting us to get a little closer.

The divine experienced moments of great joy while bearing the unfamiliar skin of humanity. However, this week, it's going to hurt.

The reason it's called "passion week" is because of the pain. This week we will see the God of Israel, the God who has been loving this group of people since the begining of time, hurt bad. Really bad.

The skin he put on to experience humanity is going to be ripped and bruised. The muscles that embraced the poor and the sick will be pulled and strained. He will know what it's like to be totally isolated. Totally alone in the universe.

The heart that loved all the way will be broken...

...and stop.

Today that heart was already feeling sore. He would have taken the opportunity to get out of the skin if it were possible. He prayed that way in the garden.

It was not possible because he had a job to do. Pain (or the temptation to avoid it) could not be heeded. There were kids to love and he knew it wouldn't last forever.

Today, in my small way, I wish to honor his holy week by enduring with honor - whatever my journey brings.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,

    I just wanted to tell you that I've been reading your blog, and I am amazed by both your humility and easy analogies between your current project and your faith. As you note, this is "Passion week," and it is about Jesus' pain. However, I think that, if we refer to it as "passion week" with a lower-case 'p' instead, we also get at another important piece of this week: Jesus' powerful and compelling love. Your blog beautifully expresses your passion, when we use the word in this sense, and I look forward to reading the next couple of entries before the Bunny Tales draw to a close.

    Sincerely,

    Sam

    ReplyDelete